For years, Duolingo has been one of the leading education apps that teaches you more than 38 languages. In fact, it has now become the most downloaded app of its kind, with over 300 million registered users. In addition to the app, though, the company has introduced the Duolingo English Test that has come to revolutionize the way that you can certify your English level. In this article, we are going to take a closer look at the Duolingo test preparation materials, through tips and other useful information.
How the Duolingo English Test Differs from the Other Certificates
The Duolingo English Test practice material available to you is the sample test that you will find on the official Duolingo website. However, before you decide on registering for these exams, you need to understand what makes it different from other certificates, like IELTS and TOEFL. Thus, the basic points where Duolingo differs from the rest of the certificates are the following:
- The Duolingo English Test doesn’t limit you to a location. Because this is an online test, you can take it from anywhere, and at any time that is convenient for you. To be more precise, during quarantine, while the other exams had been suspended, you could still take the Duolingo exams.
- It requires a short amount of time to complete the examination. The whole process requires just one hour of your time. More specifically, the exams consist of a 5-minute quick setup, a 45-minute adaptive test, and a 10-minute video/writing sample.
- It’s cheaper compared to other certificates. To take the Duolingo English Test, you only need to pay a $49 fee. On the contrary, the other certificates demand a fee of $200-300.
- You receive the results very quickly. Another big advantage of the Duolingo English Test is that you will know the results within 48 hours.
- You talk to a computer. For some examinees, talking to an examiner might be the source of a lot of stress; hence not being able to perform as well as they could.
Common Misconceptions about Duolingo English Test
There is only one Duolingo English Test sample paper, and for this reason, there are many misconceptions about this new certificate. The most common of them are the following:
- The Duolingo English Test is easier than IELTS and TOEFL. This isn’t true as the test uses an adaptive algorithm that can determine your level in English. If you take a look at the Duolingo English Test sample questions, you will find out that they can quickly adapt to your level.
- You need to have a native pronunciation to succeed in the speaking questions. The Duolingo English Test practice doesn’t require you to acquire a native accent. The only thing that you need is the correct pronunciation of the words.
- If you speak quickly, you will get a higher score in the speaking tasks. The exam aims to test your use of language, grammar, and vocabulary. So, speaking faster won’t help you in any way.
- Every sentence needs to be complex. This isn’t true as you need to give eloquent answers, rather than complex ones.
What are the Requirements for Taking the Exams
Once you have completed the Duolingo English Test practice free, you can purchase a test. The requirements for taking the exams are the following:
- A passport, government ID, or a driver’s license,
- A quiet and well-lit room,
- 60 minutes,
- Reliable Internet connection,
- A computer with the following features: the support browser, a front-facing camera, a microphone, and speakers.
The Rules you Need to Follow During the Examination
In addition to the requirement, you also need to follow a few more rules during the examination. Namely:
- You mustn’t wear headphones,
- There shouldn’t be anyone else in the room you are taking the exams,
- You can’t take notes,
- You mustn’t look off-screen or leave your seat,
- If you skip a task, you cannot go back,
- If you skip a task, the extra time won’t add to the next one.
If you have taken the Duolingo English Test sample questions and answers, and you follow all of the above rules, you will succeed in the exams.
Tips for Every Type of Question
If you complete the 15-minute Duolingo English Test sample paper, you will encounter all of the possible tasks that you must complete during the official examination. Below, you will learn useful tips for the completion of each task.
- Select the Real Word (Written): For this task, you need to pay attention to the spelling of the words. Many will seem like real words, while they are not. Don’t click any word that you are not sure.
- Select the Real Word (Listening): For this task, you need to follow the same rules as the above task. In the Duolingo English Test sample questions, you will understand what you should do.
- Complete the Missing Words: This is a tricky task. Skip the words that you don’t know and come back to them later. Moreover, practice spelling to get a good score from this task.
- Describe an Image in Writing or Aloud: To describe the image, you need to be specific, show your vocabulary, write at least one complete sentence, and make up a story.
- Describe an Image Quickly: For this task, you will only have 3 seconds. However, this is enough time to add one adjective.
- Type out a Statement that you Hear: You can listen to the statement only three times. So, write down what you can easily understand the first time, complete it the second time, and review it the third time.
- Record Yourself Saying a Written Statement: You won’t have a lot of time for preparation. For this reason, you need to scan the statement quickly and say it clearly.
- Answer a Spoken or Written Question: If the question is spoken, you will only hear it once. For your answer, take all the time you have, give examples, and use various types of sentences.
- Respond in Writing to a Written Question: For this task, you need to showcase your vocabulary and write in various types of sentences. Furthermore, keep one minute for the editing of your answer.
- Video Interview (Speaking and Writing): this is the ungraded part of the test. You will be given two options to choose from, so make sure that you show your best self. Speak for up to 3 minutes and write as much as you can for 5 minutes.
General Studying Tips
If you have taken the Duolingo English Test practice, you know that you need to study hard to succeed. Some tips that might help you in your studying are the following:
- You don’t know what question you will face during the exams. For this reason, study as many subjects as you can in English.
- In the writing and speaking section, make sure that you show your vocabulary. Use plenty of synonyms and try to use different types of sentences, even some complex ones.
- In the complete the missing word task, you need to pay attention to the endings of the words. They will be a great indication of the tense you must use.
- Don’t stress out too much. The Duolingo test preparation materials are enough to guarantee your success.
The Duolingo English Test practice material is simple to complete, yet very effective. Make sure that you take the sample paper multiple times to familiarize yourself with the exams. Once you follow all of the above tips, you will easily get a great score.